Download Full Text (195 KB)
Come hear more about the progress of IMSA’s board approved Diversity Plan
- Held a Diversifying STEM Think Tank in which 75 STEM Professionals/Educators, Community Organizers, Diversity Officers and students discussed strategies to address the racial and gender inequities that exist in the STEM education to career pipeline
- Implemented Diversity Speaker Series that consisted of four trainings on the following topics: LGBTQIA+ Allyship, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Gifted Students, Creating a Diverse and Inclusive Environment, and Gender Bias Under the Microscope
- Conducted a Student Diversity Climate Assessment in the Residence Halls examining the issues of race, sexual orientation, sex and gender/gender identity,completed by 577 /630 students
- Facilitated 2 panel discussions which took an intricate look at “American” Culture and the “American” Education System, done in collaboration with the IRC, English Department, Social Science Department, and Human Resources
- Developed an interdisciplinary African-American culture course that will be taught by both English and Social Science faculty Academic Year 2017-18
- Conducted Diversifying IMSA focus groups with faculty/staff to discuss strategies to recruit diverse talent
- Developed Bias Incident statement for Student Handbook
- Piloted Identity Advocate Program designed for faculty/staff to better support LGBTQIA+ students
- Entered into a partnership with University of Wisconsin-Madison to research the state of Implicit Bias at IMSA and develop interventions.
Bilingual, Multilingual, and Multicultural Education | Education | Gender Equity in Education
Coleman, Adrienne and Pareja, Amber, "Diversity Speaker Series: Dr. Adrienne Coleman and Dr. Amber Pareja" (2017). Speaker Series. 2.