WE BELIEVE THAT:
- meaning is discovered, not prescribed.
- all individuals have equal intrinsic worth.
- all people have an innate desire to learn.
- the power of the human mind is the world's greatest resource.
- every individual is capable of both changing and bringing about change.
- trust is essential for any human relationship to prosper.
- the survival of global civilization depends primarily upon the quality of the education provided to all citizens.
- every person is responsible for his/her own choices and actions.
- belonging to a group implies subordination of self-interests to the common good.
- excellence is worth the effort, but not always worth the cost.
- achieving our vision of the future depends upon our willingness to sacrifice in the present.
- aversion to risk-taking stifles innovation and creativity.
- learning is an individual, life-long endeavor. valuable learning results from both failure and success.
- all adults share responsibility for the well-being of all children.
- the ability to discern and create connections is the essence of knowing.
- a good life is harmony among the emotions, the body, the intellect, and the spirit.
- the process of education is more than merely the accumulation of facts.
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy, "Strategic Plan: 1990-1995" (1990). 1990-2000 Documents. 5.