To create an environment for engaging organic conversation that may result in students learning to:
- transcend the stereotypes we have been taught about hair (including body hair)
- recognize where these stereotypes come from and how they have affected us personally
- recognize where the ideals/standards of how hair “should be” and what type of hair is “ideal” or “acceptable” come from and to challenge that ideology
- recognize which communities are disproportionately affected by hair stereotypes
- learn about instances of discrimination based on hair and recognize the biases deeply engrained in our culture that cause these biases
- delve into the discrimination faced by different populations: men, women, LGBTQ, different races (particularly black hair), different religions
Haney, Pooja, "Why do we Care so much about Hair? An exploration in societal pressures on hair expression" (2020). Goal 4: Intrapersonal Intelligence Narrative. 3.